Kits House has a rich history on Vancouver’s Westside with roots dating back to 1894 when it was called the “Alexandra Orphanage and Non-Sectarian Home Society” located at Pine and West Seventh. In 1972, Alexandra House moved to Vine and West Seventh and changed its name to Kitsilano Neighbourhood House. To this day, “Kits House” continues to be the only Neighbourhood House on the Westside serving six communities which stretch from the water to the Musqueam and from Granville Street to UBC.
Our redevelopment plans
Kitsilano Neighbourhood House is developing a unique and innovative pilot project to address the core community need* for Neighbourhood House programs and services, daycare and affordable seniors housing with the potential to be replicated across the province.
Our project includes redeveloping Kits House and providing the following:
- A resource to the Westside community that supports, engages and responds to community needs
- Fifteen (15) units of affordable seniors housing with priority for seniors living on the Westside and vulnerable seniors living in substandard housing. Allowing seniors to age in their community, in familiar surroundings with established friends and opportunities to remain active and involved in their community
- Twenty-five (25) daycare spaces for children aged three to five
- 15 additional Out of School Care spaces
- New meeting and socializing spaces to meet the program needs of all ages from toddlers to seniors
- Removing safety concerns about the current substandard facility. Providing safe and accessible space for all Kits House programs and services
- Maintaining the current heritage house and heritage hall
- Access to community urban agriculture (i.e., rooftop garden)
- Providing a LEED gold standard building that also reduces long term operating costs
- A redeveloped facility that the community can appreciate with a renewed sense of pride
To date we have consulted with the community by holding:
- Three Kits House hosted Open Houses – August 27, 2008, June 16, 2009 and November 14, 2009
- Three focus café style groups (1) “Units & Interior Building” – August 20, 2009, (2) “Space Planning” September 10, 2009 and (3) Environmental/Social/Economic Sustainability – May 15, 2010
- A City of Vancouver hosted and organized Open House – June 23, 2010
For more information
We will always welcome community input as it is integral to the services Kits House provides. As such, you are welcome and encouraged to speak with Catherine Leach, the Executive Director of Kits House, firstname.lastname@example.org or 604 736-3588 and/or the Chair of the Community Board Andrew Lyons, email@example.com, 778 839-5542 at your convenience.
* Feedback from our Open Houses showed the community ranked daycare/childcare, affordable seniors housing and Kits House programs and services as core needs for the community