Neighbourhood Small Grants
*** Next Application deadline: Spring 2014, exact date TBA***
Please review the information on this page then apply online.
Big things come in small grants…Check out this video from our 2011 NSG Potluck Celebration.
Have a great idea for a community project? Apply for a Neighbourhood Small Grant!
Neighbourhood Small Grants (NSG) is a unique program funded by the Vancouver Foundation that helps build community and strengthen connections right where people live – in their neighbourhoods. This program supports residents like you: residents who have small but powerful ideas to bring people together and make your neighbourhood vibrant.
There are Neighbourhood Small Grants and Greenest City Grants both offering grants between $50 and $1,000. Both grants are designed to help make your project a reality. A community garden, a canning workshop, an intergenerational storytelling project, a street party, and a book exchange – these are just some of the amazing things you can apply for.
The purpose behind NSG is to stimulate creativity, encourage local solutions, build connections between neighbours, and engage people from all backgrounds and circumstances in the life of their community.
Who can apply?
To apply you must live in the areas in the map below:
View Kitsilano / West Side – Neighbourhood Small Grant in a larger map
What are the application requirements?
- Applicants must live the areas shown in the map above
- Projects must be sponsored by 2 or more people who live in different households
- The grants are for groups of neighbours or residents only; organizations cannot apply
- Projects must adhere to City Bylaws and be socially acceptable to the majority of the neighbourhood
- Projects must occur in the neighbourhood by November 30th 2013
- Retroactive funding (for projects that have already occurred) is not available
- Applicants cannot profit financially from the project. Honorariums are generally limited to $50
- Applicants must agree to be part of the evaluation
- Applicants give Kitsilano Neighbourhood House permission to take or use photos for promotional purposes
- Applicants contact information (email/phone) will be shared with other applicants
When is the deadline for NSG applications?
Spring 2014, exact date TBA
Upcoming dates to know about:
How do I apply for a NSG?
Ways to promote your project:
- Start promoting your project early on and continue to remind people of your project. Especially the closer it comes to the day of the event!
- Talk to your friends, family, coworkers, and neighbours. Let them know about the event and give them a poster or flier as a visual reminder.
- Use Social Media like Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.
- Use the NSG Project Directories to let local residents know about your project. Also invite Kits House and the Vancouver Foundation to attend.
Any other tips you’d like to share? Let us know and we will add them!
Check out some awesome Kits House NSG projects!