Income Tax Program
Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP)
What is it?
The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) is a collaboration between the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and community organizations. This service is offered to residents of the Westside with a modest income and a simple tax situation as outlined in the criteria below.
The CVITP helps eligible taxpayers with a modest income and a simple tax situation. When booking your income tax appointment you will be asked if you meet the criteria listed below. Please be truthful in your answers to ensure that your tax return qualifies for this program.
- Single person up to $30,000
- Couple up to $40,000
- One adult with one child up to $35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional child)
- Tax returns for the current year only
- You must be present when your tax return is being prepared.
- You are a resident living on the Westside of Vancouver.
VOLUNTEERS GIVE THEIR TIME TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR TAXES – THEY ARE NOT TAX EXPERTS.
- Please treat our hardworking volunteers with the kindness and respect that they deserve.
- Rudeness or disrespect toward volunteers will not be tolerated and will result in you being asked to make alternate arrangements to have your taxes prepared.
Returns that do not qualify
- Self-employment income
- Business or rental income and expenses
- Capital gains or losses
- Employment expenses
- Filed for bankruptcy
- Returns for a deceased person
- Previous year or multi-year returns
- Foreign income
- Interest income is over $1,000
- You are over the maximum income level for this program
- Not here in person when the tax return is being processed.
What you should bring with you
- Sort and tally your receipts prior to attending your half hour appointment. The volunteer preparing your tax return will not have time to sort these for you.
- Bring all of your tax papers and receipts with you to your half hour appointment.
How to book an appointment with a volunteer
The appointment schedule opens mid-February for tax clinic dates in March & April.
Call 604 736-3588 to book a time or in person through Kits House Front Desk.
Clinic times offered are dependent on volunteer availability – there are no evening appointments at this location.
The Kits House Income Tax Clinics are free for Westside residents with a current Kits House Membership — or by donation to Kits House.
If you do not live on the Westside click on this link to find information about other tax clinics offered in Vancouver:
Kits House is a non-profit charitable organization. If you would like to support Kits House and the many programs it offers make a donation through the front desk. Tax receipts can be issued for donations of $25 or more.