Red Oak Place at 7th & Vine
Housing at 7th and Vine, ‘Red Oak Place’, is an innovative project to address the core community need of affordable seniors housing on the Westside of Vancouver. There are fifteen 1-bedroom units for low-income seniors located just above the Neighbourhood House offices and programming space.
Residents at Red Oaks Housing will have a unique housing experience, being an integral part in creating a thriving, inclusive, vibrant, and welcoming community. Kits House is a lively hub for Westside residents to connect, share and build community together. Various community programs, events, and activities take place there on a daily basis.
As of September 2014 Red Oak Place is full and no longer considering applications for initial occupancy.
You are still welcome to apply through BC housing and indicate you are interested in Red Oak Place for future vacancies. We will be actively developing a waitlist.
TENANT SELECTION CRITERIA
• Older adults / seniors 55 years and older.
• Individuals with income which is $38,000 or less. Individuals with no more than $100,000 is assets. This is set by the BC Housing Household Income Limit (HIL).
• Priority to individuals currently living on the Westside of Vancouver (Granville west to UBC, Water south to 43rd Ave). If the list of applicants from the Westside has been exhausted, individuals who have previously lived on the Westside or have connections to the Westside will be considered.
• Priority to individuals who are inadequately housed; homeless, living in temporary shelter / housing, living with family / friends, high rent contribution (more than 30% of income), or current housing does not meet their needs (physical and mental health, social, emotional, cultural, and safety needs).
• Priority to individuals who value volunteerism and are willing and able to contribute 5 volunteer hours / month.
• Priority to individuals who value an inclusive, diverse, and neighbourly living environment.
If you have both applied to BC Housing and have met all criteria in the list above, please call 604-736-3588 for further consideration. Your name will be placed on record in our inquiry list. Please note that this is not a wait list of any sort, only a record of your inquiry.
NOTE: Kits House reserves the right to modify selection criteria based on emerging needs.
1. To apply, please visit the BC Housing website. You can apply online or print an application from their website. Or pick one up from their office or the Kits House Seniors Resource Centre. http://www.bchousing.org/Options/Subsidized_Housing/Apply
2. Fill out the Housing Registry Application Form.
Please ensure that you use the 7th & Vine code: DCG
3. Mail or drop off your application to the BC Housing Home Office or fax to 604.439.4729.
BC Housing Home Office, Suite 101 – 4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How do I have my application considered?
Follow the application process, keep your application up-to-date and include the 7th & Vine code (DCG) with BC Housing and be sure to submit your application before the deadline.
2. How many units are there?
3. How big are the units?
Between 450-540 sq. ft
4. Are there accessible/wheelchair units available in the building?
Units are not wheelchair accessible.
5. Is there storage available?
A storage locker is available in the basement
6. Are pets allowed in the building?
No, pets are not permitted in the residential area of the building.
7. Will smoking be allowed in the building?
No, this is a non smoking building. City by-laws are enforced.
8 Is it Supportive Housing? What sorts of supports are available for residents?
No, 7th and Vine is independent housing, similar to any other rental housing.
9. What will my rent be?
Rents are $750/ month + $20 heating charge.