Income Tax Clinics
The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) is a collaboration between the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and community organizations, such as Kitsilano Neighbourhood House. Volunteers will complete and submit tax returns for Westside residents with a modest income and a simple tax situation as outlined in the program criteria below. Note that it is a volunteer that will be completing the tax return and not a tax specialist or accountant. Please treat these hardworking volunteers with respect.
The Kits House tax prep volunteers are happy to complete your tax return for you, however we are not in a position to give tax advice.
If you need tax advice, or have a question about your tax return that you prepared or had another person prepare, visit the Contact page on the CRA website – Step 2 contains a list of numbers depending on what you are calling about.
Over the phone
Date & Time
The Kits House Tax Clinics run in March & April each year. Due to COVID19 there will be no in-person tax clinics as Kits House remains closed to the public. Those wanting taxes done will book a time to drop off their papers and they will be contacted by the tax prep volunteer to do the return over the phone.
Here is the process to follow for the 2021Tax Program:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to arrange for your taxes to be prepared by one of our amazing volunteers
- Scheduled drop off times will be arranged in 5-minute time slots – please wear a mask and keep your social distance and avoid temptation to hang around!
- Prior to dropping off your tax return you will need to sort all of your papers, tally your receipts
- Put your papers into a Ziplock bag clearly labelled with your name and phone number -if we can’t read your phone number we won’t be able to call you!
- A tax prep volunteer will call you on the number you provide to arrange a time to do your tax return with you over the phone
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope – your tax papers will be mailed back to your home address once your taxes have been done
- Kits House Annual Membership is required for this program – you will need to renew or buy one as most memberships will have expired. Purchase your Kits House Membership by clicking HERE.
Please bring all your papers, including all your receipts sorted and tallied
- Single person up to $35,000
- Two people up to $45,000
- Three people up to $47,500 (add $2,500 for each additional child)
- Tax returns for the current year only
- You must be present when your tax return is being prepared.
- You are a resident living on the Westside of Vancouver.
Returns that do not qualify
- Self-employment income
- Business or rental income and expenses
- Capital gains or losses
- Employment expenses
- Filed for bankruptcy
- Returns for a deceased person
- Previous year or multi-year returns
- Foreign income
- Interest income is over $1,000
- You are over the maximum income level for this program
- Not here in person when the tax return is being processed.
Free for Westside Residents with Kits House Membership or by suggested $20 donation to Kits House.
Don’t live on the Westside?
Click HERE to find information about other tax clinics offered in Vancouver.
Please respect the Volunteers.
Rudeness or disrespect towards volunteers will not be tolerated and will result in you being asked to make alternate arrangement to have your taxes prepared.
Email email@example.com (best) or call Kits House front desk 604.736.3588 Ext 124 to leave a message about booking your appointment. A volunteer will be in touch with you with further information when to bring your papers and where to drop them off. (it will be outside)