The hub of Vancouver West since 1894, Kits House is serving the needs of Vancouver Westside’s diverse population by offering programs and services for low income residents, single parents, children, youth, isolated seniors, new and long-time residents.
In partnership with the City of Vancouver, Kits House is seeking two self-motivated, high energetic, compassionate individuals to fill the roles of “Community Navigators” to engage traditionally under-represented communities in the Vancouver Plan. These positions report directly to the Director of Community Programs.
- Work with organization staff to organize and convene sessions with community members’ representative of those from traditionally excluded communities because of race, gender, sexuality, age, ability, socio-economic status, and other contributing factors.
- Review prior engagement with target community and tailor engagement format, activities and/or questions to needs of their specific communities, applying expertise and cultural competencies to enable participants to contribute to planning exercises.
- Work with organization staff to identify and provide relevant supports to ensure attendees may meaningfully participate, such as facilitation, interpretation, childminding, honoraria, etc.
- Share learnings and discuss with other Community Navigators at cross-organization sessions to collectively respond to staff policy being drafted.
- Attend and participate in regular online City-led sessions, including orientations, workshops, check-ins, and evaluations.
- Work with City staff to document results of engagement sessions and provide input on program design
Skills, qualifications, requirements:
- Persons with lived experience, from equity-seeking groups or representing intersectional identities; for example: Indigenous; Urban Indigenous; Black and African diaspora; Underrepresented racialized communities; Two spirited, transgendered and gender-diverse community; Migrant workers; Persons with disability; Persons with lived experience of homelessness, sex work, and/or
drug use; Newcomer/refugees; Speakers whose mother tongue is other than English.
- Connections to a broader range of networks, including those from: social and community services, arts and culture, health, education, business, religious, geographic and language communities, etc.
- Language and/or cultural competencies to communicate and support dialogue with underrepresented communities.
- Demonstrated experience in organizing, facilitating, and reporting back
- Ability to work online, including participating in online meetings (eg. Zoom)
- Support communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, with understanding of issues faced by communities is an asset
- Experience in capacity building, peer leadership, and counselling is an asset
- Knowledge of municipal government, social and community services is an asset
- A clear Criminal Record Check
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and some weekends
- Contract position from October 28th – Dec 20th, 2020
- $33/hour – up to 75 hours
- Orientation/Training dates: Wed Oct 28 & Thurs Oct 29
- Please submit your cover letter and resume with 2 references by 5pm on Saturday October 24th, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review our website https://www.kitshouse.org before applying.
***No phone calls please, let your written presentation do the talking***
Association of Neighbourhood Houses of BC (ANHBC) is an equal opportunity employer. We place a high value on diversity and encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds and identities to consider applying for the position. Our total compensation and benefits package reflects our commitment to our staff and their family. For more information about ANHBC please visit www.anhbc.org.
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will proactively contact those selected for interviews.
ANHBC Member Houses: Alex NH, Cedar Cottage NH, Frog Hollow NH, Gordon NH, Kitsilano NH, Marpole NH, Mount Pleasant NH, South Vancouver NH and Sasamat Outdoor Centre
Submit resumes and covering letters by Wednesday, October 28, 2020 to:
No phone calls please We thank all applicants; however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Kits House is an equal opportunity employer.