Senior’s Community Programmer
You will bring your vast senior’s programming skills for this rewarding role. You will be joining a dedicated team of community focused specialists with a desire to build a stronger community with our local seniors as part of our refocus to make Vancouver’s diverse Westside to be a sustainable, healthy and connected community where everyone thrives.
This role has two key functions. The first is to be a major part of our effort to fight the effects of COVID impacts in our community by assisting the Better at Home Coordinator with non-medical support for our local seniors. In conjunction with this you will work with our Steeves Manor Coordinator for two days per week to provide valuable Senior’s programming. There will also be opportunities to work with other seniors’ groups we work with.
The main tasks are performed in-house with some scope to work from home as it is a hands-on leadership role.
Working collaboratively with the Steeves Manor Coordinator you will help to run key programs for residents at Steeves Manor. Programs focus on food security, life skills, social engagement and connections.
You will also provide support to the Better at Home team as they deliver key non-medical services requested by the Provincial Government to assist local seniors, especially around food security and general wellbeing.
- Provide a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for seniors / older adults
- Engage and encourage a diverse group of seniors to participate in programming
- Support seniors in accessing social, economic, recreational and educational services and resources in the community
- Write program reports, collect statistics and keep other program related documentations in order
- Engage, liaise and maintain partnerships with community agencies and other service providers
- Encourage and support volunteers / contractors with program facilitation
- Schedules volunteers for assigned activities
- Participates in SSSC/Better at Home volunteer orientation and training
- Responds to in-person, email and telephone enquiries about SSSC/Better at Home services
- Assist with participant intakes and maintain client database
- Produce statistics, monthly/annual reports, questionnaires, surveys, and letters under the direction of the Coordinator of the Better at Home
- Participates an assist in organizational events; attends all staff meetings and trainings
- Bachelor in Social Work or related field
- Good understanding of senior’s issues and how to work with barriers faced by older adults, with 2 year’s experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and practicum
- Proven ability to work independently, conduct outreach, facilitate groups, supervise volunteers, organize and manage projects and develop community partnerships??
- Experience working from a strength-based model of service delivery
- Excellent listening, written, verbal, and cross-cultural communication skills
- Great team player, with effective interpersonal skills and the ability to take initiative & adapt/change priorities according to changing situations
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
- Clean Criminal Record Check and First Aid (valid or willingness to obtain)
- Attitudes and values which are compatible with the goals and philosophy of Kitsilano Neighbourhood House
- Ability to work flexible hours – may require evening and weekend work
- Ability to work outdoors on occasion
- Work from multiple sites
The candidate should be in good physical health to meet the demands of the position – walking, some lifting and moving of supplies, setting up tables and chairs
Job Details: 8 months maternity leave position with the possibility of permanent FT.
Wages: $ 21.00 – $ 23.97 per hour – Salary Band 4 of the ANHBC Wage Grid
Schedule: 35 hours/week; start date week of September 20, 2021
Please email cover letter, resume and 3 references by Monday September 13, 2021 to:
Margarita Chapman firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
**No phone calls please**
Kitsilano Neighbourhood House is a member of the Association of Neighbourhood Houses of BC (ANHBC), which is an equal opportunity employer. We place a high value on diversity and encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds and identities to consider applying for the position. Our total compensation and benefits package reflects our commitment to our staff and their family. For more information about Kitsilano Neighbourhood House visit www.kitshouse.org. For ANHBC visit www.anhbc.org.
ANHBC Member Houses:
Alex NH, Cedar Cottage NH, Frog Hollow NH, Gordon NH, Kitsilano NH,Marpole NH, Mount Pleasant NH, South Vancouver NH, Sasamat Outdoor Centre
Submit resumes and covering letters by Monday, September 13, 2021 to:
Margarita Chapman email@example.com
No phone calls please We thank all applicants; however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Kits House is an equal opportunity employer.